Last Thursday, I got to attend another North Iowa Bloggers get-together! I love them! I love the get-togethers, I love the bloggers, I love the foods I get to try, I love everything about them…other than they are too far apart and never long enough!!
The last time we got together for a dinner was to try the new test flavors of Lay’s Potato chips! This time it was to celebrate all the fall birthdays we have in our group as well as to taste test a variety of Oreo flavors! Now, I used to be a BIG fan of Oreos. There wasn’t a night that I didn’t
have 3-4 Double Stuff Oreos with a glass of milk, but lately I’d shied away from them due to to what is (in my opinion) a change of consistency and make up! But, how could I say no to a get together with these ladies and trying different flavors? There were six of us total (physically) and 2 flat versions of 2 missing bloggers! We must represent them when they are gone!
Of course, we had to have a meal and potluck style it was again this time and oh…the food was better than ever. We feasted on bacon wrapped figs stuffed with something stuffed in them from Jeni of Jeni Eats, loaded baked potato dip from Val of Corn, Beans, Pigs, & Kids, strawberry bruschetta and caramel apple dip from Beth Ann from It’s Just Life, amazing bagel dip from Amy of Modern Rural Living, and traditional snicker salad from Sara of All in An Iowa Mom’s Day! There were a few odds and ends as well (I took Beer Cheese Dip that I’m sure will be featured on Tasty Tuesday some day) and other things. We certainly didn’t go hungry. After feasting on all these goodies, we took to the taste testing of the Oreos.
So, a bit about the Oreos… Looking at the picture at right, we taste tested the following: Top Row: Cookie Dough, Berry, Root Beer, & Peanut Butter. Bottom Row: Pumpkin Spice, Caramel Apple, Chocolate Birthday Cake, & Vanilla Birthday Cake.
While some of the cookies, I ate the entire thing (peanut butter and caramel apple), the majority of them I could only stomach just a bite or half a of a cookie. This was common among all us bloggers as you can tell by the picture of the garbage can, which became an Oreo grave site!
Here is my take on the cookies
- Cookie Dough – it wasn’t offensive, but didn’t really taste like cookie dough to me…didn’t have much taste in my opinion.
- Berry – Gak! Gak! Gak! This was THE WORST in my opinion. It tasted like horrible medicine or some very fake fruit candy that I would dislike as well!
- Root Beer – While I enjoy a good root beer, I’ve determined that I don’t like my root beer in the cookie form! It was so strong it burned in my mouth and down my throat. The flavor was way too strong!
- Peanut Butter – this was my second place vote and really, how can you go wrong with a chocolate and peanut butter combination?
- Pumpkin Spice – I’m not a big pumpkin spice fan, but this didn’t really even taste like pumpkin spice to me! The cream filling didn’t have much pumpkin flavor and to be honest, I thought the cookie tasted like Nutter Butters.
- Caramel Apple – My favorite!!! While it was a very fake fruit taste, I thoroughly enjoyed it and the cookie part balanced the flavors out and grounded the fake taste quite a bit! I would buy a package of these!
- The Birthday Cake Flavors – to be quite honest, to me these were too sweet and tasted pretty close to original Oreos, so there was no excitement for me!
I’d say it was a successful taste testing and prior to the tasting, I was the most nervous about Caramel Apple flavor and it turned out to be my favorite! I guess it just proves to not judge something and keep an open mind! I guess I’m still Learning As I Go!