Toast Squares! A piece of bread, toasted, cut into four equal squares: one with cinnamon & sugar, one with peanut butter, one with jelly, and one with just butter on it. Now, take it times 2! That was my ultimate comfort food when I was little! My mom would make it for me whenever I asked. Nothing gourmet, but it was my blankie of foodies if you will! I crave it right now just talking about it. But, for it to be the best, my mom MUST make it for me!
No, I’m not going to actually give you step by step directions on how to make Jo Momma’s (mine & T’s affectionate name for my mom) toast squares, although I’m sure if you wanted to, you’d have it figured out by now, Tasty Tuesday is going to have a little different twist this week. We’re going to talk about comfort foods!
Isn’t it amazing how much we equate food with emotions? I don’t know about anyone else, but I crave salty stuff the most! If I’m in a good mood, it’s normally a craving of salty stuff. If I’m cuddly, it’s sweet…especially chocolate. If I’m feeling fat, it’s something fruity! What foods do you crave based on your moods?
So, what other comfort foods do I love in my life? Well, here are a few of them:
- Toast Squares
- Kraft Macaroni & Cheese…it’s still my “go to” on Saturdays…something about the correlation.
- Creamed Eggs On Toast…yummy! My mom only made it on rare occasions for breakfast
- Rice & Raisins…a family tradition that is a favorite of my dads & mine!
- Fudgy Brownies…only has become a comfort food since being married to T.
- Beef & Noodles, YUM! If I can’t find anything else that sounds good, this ALWAYS sounds good! I always make sure I have a couple dishes in my freezer!
- Jo Momma’s Spaghetti! My mom makes THE BEST homemade spaghetti sauce!
- Grandma S’s Dave’s Amana Buttermilk Cookies…she’s been gone for several years, but my mom has mastered them!
Yeah, I have a lot of comfort foods. Perhaps because my family has always related love with food. I love you, so I’m going to make a big dinner. I’m having you over to my house, so I must have enough food to feed you for three days straight…even though you’re only going to be here for one meal. Sound familiar to anyone else? Everyone has comfort foods and everyone has different comfort foods. I’d love to know: What are yours?